Where can I buy beer or wine in Reykjavík?

I would love to enjoy a glass of wine in my hotel room but the bars here are so expensive. Where can I by a bottle of wine for a take away ?

Good question Herdís. The only place to buy wine in Iceland is in state run stores called Vínbúðinn (the wine store). Here’s a link to their English website where you can find all the info you need http://www.vinbudin.is/english/heim.aspx

Next time you come to Iceland you should stock up on alcohol in the airport duty free store, it’s your cheapest option by far per :slight_smile:

Yes I would also recommend people to buy something in the duty free at the airport but just so you know there is limited amount of alcohol and tobacco you can take into the country!

The government has a monopoly on all alcohol and tobacco, so there is nothing such as 'cheap ’ alcohol in Iceland. But you can buy it at the Vínbúð, which is cheaper than that bars and restaurants. Also, most bars and restaurants are not allowed to sell alcohol ‘out’ - that is, they cannot sell you bottles to take out of the venue. They have to open it on premises, or they risk loosing their licence.
The best way to get cheap alcohol is to buy it on your way into the country at the duty-free. You have a quota that you can fill so stock up if you can :stuck_out_tongue: Sama applies to cigarettes. You can take like two big boxes of beer or two bottles table wine, or one strong I think though I’m not 100% sure. You can ask the people working there for better clarification.
If you want to go to the vínbúð, you can find it in various locations in the city. There is one in Austurstræti, the main street, and then there are stores in most shopping centres and in other store-heavy areas, near grocery stores. There’s one in pretty much every district, so it shouldn’t be too complicated.
You should check though that in Iceland you have to be 20 to buy any alcoholic drinks, and you will be asked for identification, so always carry it with you to prove your age. I know the rest of Europe has a lower age limit but it’s different here, because of the former prohibition :stuck_out_tongue: (yes, Iceland had a long prohibition era, and beer was illegal well into the 80’s :stuck_out_tongue: I know it’s strange but so it was - that’s why we like beer so much today!)
If you are staying downtown, the closest vínbúð is in Austurstræti. If you are staying east of the center, you should go to Kringlan or Skeifan. Most are open until 18:00, but a few are open to 20:00. Keep in mind through that drinking in public is illegal and though you can see drunk people at weekends, the police will stop you if you are walking around with a bottle. They also have the right to confiscate it, so please only drink at home if you’re buying at Vínbúð :slight_smile: