Where can I bathe in a natural hot spring?

Hi there,

I’d love to go bathing in a natural hot spring while I’m in Iceland! Are there any tours that’ll take me or will I have to get a rental car? Where do I go?
I only have accommodation booked in Reykjavík so I’m especially interested in the hot springs that are close to that area :slight_smile:
Thank you so much!

Hey Elin,

Just 45 minutes drive from Reykjavík is a town called Hveragerði, and this town is renowned for its hot springs. Just an hour or so hiking through the mountains will take you to many natural pools, which leak into a river; this means the river is heated, and you can bathe in it. You can take an easy day tour here, and have enough time to combine it with other activities; see here to hunt for the hot springs and go horse-riding, for example: https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/hot-spring-hiking-horseback-riding

Check out this article about hot springs in Iceland.

There’s plenty of tours, like the ones that Richard pointed out. I love the one he sent you, also because the valley they go to is my fav hot spring in Iceland, it’s just so nice! It’s also not far from the city and both riding and hiking tours go there so you dhould be fine even though you do not have a car. I like riding, but then, if you want solitude, I suggest maybe going hiking instead, in teh afternoon.
Also, you should totally remember to wear your swimsuit under your clothing if you feel bad about changing clothing on the bank, because there are no dressing rooms in the mountains :stuck_out_tongue: So yeah, have fun!

Hi Elin!!

Just about a 100 km from Reykjavík city is Flúðir, a beautiful geothermal valley and town with lots of greenhouses and organic produce. If you go there you absolutely HAVE to visit The Secret Lagoon! it might be man made but with natural resources, it is lined with natural rock and the water is rich in natural minerals. There are smaller, natural hot springs in the area, but the good thing about a construct like The Secret lagoon is that it can accomodate a large number of visitors without being damaging to the enviornment!
Also, if you go there during night-time in the winter, you could see the Northern Lights :smile: :smile: :smile:
I really recommend going there, it is one of my favorite hot springs, especially bc of the beautiful scenery all around it.

Hope this helps! :innocent:

There are so many tours that will take you allow you to take a dip in a natural hot spring. Just take a look: https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/nature-tours/hot-springs

I don’t have a favourite one, but the ones that have been mentioned are amazing. I think the ones in southern Iceland (the ones around Hveragerði town and Flúðir) are your best bet if you’re only staying in Reykjavík. But some tours offer flights to northern Iceland, such as tours to Mývatn, where there is a large geothermal area with incredible sights and the Mývatn Nature Baths; the North’s answer to the Blue Lagoon.