Where are the best Game of Thrones sites?

Hey,

I’m a huge Game of Thrones fan, and I’m renting my own car in Iceland. Where can I see all the shooting locations? Is it also possible to see them filming?

Thanks!

Hi Richard!

I’m also a huge Game of thrones fan so I’ve done a bit of research on this :slight_smile:
This tour here https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/game-of-thrones-revisited has really great reviews and the tour guide was an extra on the show!

-Elín

Iceland’s the best place to see the North of the Wall! :wink:

If you’re driving yourself, just make sure you do the Golden Circle (Iceland’s most famous attraction) and take a long good walk in Þingvellir National Park, along Almannagjá rift. That’s where Arya and the Hound walk when they’re going to the Vale of Arryn. Also where the Hound and Brienne fight.

If you head north near Lake Mývatn you can visit Grjótagjá hot spring cave where Jon Snow and Ygritte consummated their relationship.

I’d also recommend going on a glacier hike, as the scenes North of the Wall are shot on top of Iceland’s glaciers (I’m not sure which one though…)

And then there’s that Game of Thrones tour you can go on, I haven’t been myself but I’ve heard it’s good.

Find out more about Game of Thrones filming locations in Iceland here :slight_smile:

I heard from a tour guide that Grjótagjá, near Lake Mývatn, is one of the most popular places to visit if you are a Game of Thrones fan. So if you go there, you are sure to meet a few fellow fans.

I didn’t start watching the series until I got a call from a friend in Texas. She was so excited that I lived in the country where the show was shot, and she asked me if I had visited any of the places where they filmed.

I wasn’t sure if I had. Since I had never seen the show, I just assumed it was all filmed in some remote locations in Iceland’s highlands. I promptly went on google and looked it up and found out that some of the scenes had been shot at Þingvellir National Park. I told my friend that I had indeed visited some of the locations and she FREAKED OUT.

I found it incredibly funny that somebody would be so excited that I had been to a place in my own country, especially Þingvellir Park. Sure, the site is gorgeous, and it is historically significant (it is the site where Iceland’s parliament was founded over a thousand years ago), but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been there. It is a popular place for school trips, and I’ve been there so many times as a kid and adult. I didn’t think it was a big deal.

But then I saw the show. And I had to go back there. Now I wanted to picture the Hound and Brienne fight near Almannagjá. I am now waiting for my friend as she’s going to visit from Texas and we’ll go on a Game of Thrones round trip of Iceland.

Oh, by the way, I saw Hafþór ‘The Mountain’ Júlíusson in the gym once. He is impossibly huge! He IS like a mountain. It’s crazy :astonished: