When is it best to see the Midnight Sun in Iceland?

People talk about the midnight sun a lot, so I was wondering when is the best time to come and see it? Can I see it at the same time as the northern lights?

Is there as best place to see it? I know many people go hiking and travelling during this time, so I was wondering if you had any tips on northern lights tours or activities for that time. When should I come to Iceland to get the best midnight sun?

You can not see the Northern Lights at the same time as the midnight sun.

You can only see the midnight sun during summertime in Iceland, that is in May, June and July. (Technically only in June, but it’s bright at midnight in May and July). August also has bright nights, but it gets dark around midnight in August. In Iceland the hours of daylight are always getting shorter or longer by a couple of minutes each day. The shortest day of the year is around the 21st of December and the longest day is around the 21st of June.

Depending on if you are in Reykjavík or in north Iceland, such as in Akureyri, there’s a difference of how long the days are by a few minutes. You can experience the midnight sun wherever you are in the country, but the further north you go in the country the days will be a little brighter in summer and a little darker in winter (not so much that you’ll notice a difference though).

When the midnight sun occurs, the nights don’t get any darkness in Iceland. In order to see the Northern Lights the sky needs to be dark. The best time to see the Northern Lights is anytime the nights are dark in Iceland (so from late August until end of April). The best time for the midnight sun is at the summer solstice on June 21st.

Read more about the Midnight Sun here and about the Northern Lights here.

The summer is my favorite time in Iceland and especially because of the midnight sun! The summer solstice happens on the 21st of June and then you have 24 hours of daylight. If you are in the west or the north you can see the sun go almost down beyond the horizon but not quite and then come back up. It’s great to watch this on top of a mountain after a midnight hike in the daylight and you can do the same as icelanders, camp in the countryside and stay up the whole night since who needs sleep when there is no darkness? :slight_smile:

There is also a great music festival in Reykjavík called the Secret Solstice. It happens during the solstice where you can go to concerts and party with 72 hours of sunlight! You can read more about the festival here: Secret Solstice Festival

Hello Unnur,
I love the beautiful sky during the Midnight Sun in Iceland. That’s something you absolutely must see! Especially in July - some time ago Grundarfjordur on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula was chosen the best place to watch the sunsets and believe me - you will not regret it if you go there. The sky is incredibly intense, the colors are changing - if you see pictures of Midnight Sun in Iceland, where the sky is intensely red, blue-violet or gold - it’s not a photomontage! Several photos and video of Midnight Sun in Iceland can be found here, but if you need some tours during the summertime in Iceland, check this page.