Visiting Landmannalaugar, South iceland

I was thinking about renting a car to go to the Landmannalaugar and Þorsmork area. I know I need a 4x4, but is there a time of year where it’s better to visit.
Can I take a bus?

The roads leading to Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk are closed during winter and don’t open until the snow and ice has melted, which is normally at the end of June each year, or perhaps not until July. They then stay open through July and August and close in early September normally.

You should check road.is to see the status on mountain roads.

To get to Þórsmörk you need to cross several unbridged rivers, and it’s not advisable to do so unless you know what you are doing - you should always cross a river with another car at the same location in case you run into trouble. Always cross rivers where they are the widest, as that’s where they will be most shallow and the stream is not as fast. These rivers are big enough to get your car stuck, or tip it over, and the reason for why you need a 4x4 to reach these locations. Perhaps it’s not a risk you want to take on a rental car.

To reach Landmannalaugar you only need to cross 1, or perhaps 2 rivers and it’s an easier route than driving to Þórsmörk.

It is possible to take a bus to both of these locations, and you can even buy a bus passport where you can take a bus to one location, then hike to the next and take a bus back from the next one. You can also just go to one location and get a bus back to Reykjavík (or Hella or Hvolsvöllur) from there and then a bus to the next location the following day. There are no buses going between Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk.

Between Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk are 55km which make up Iceland’s most popular hiking route, Laugavegurinn. Normally people hike this route in 3-4 days, carrying all their food, sleeping bags and tents with them. It’s also possible to stay in cabins along the way if you pre-book them weeks in advance.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi, if you only want to rent a car to drive there I think I would not do it… It is demanding to drive to the highlands and to reach Thorsmörk you need to cross some rivers!

I did a bus tour last summer and it was really fine! It was quite cool to be in a big highland vehicle and get driven over the weird landscape, it is so shaky and rough. There are either the bus passes that Nanna mentioned or just regular day/multi day tours.

Hi Unnur

First you have to know that the Highlands like Landmannalaugar and Thorsmork are only accessible by car during summer.
Then you have to check the road conditions before going - those areas are accessible by mountains roads which are not the best and easy roads ever to drive (crossing river…)

To go to Landmannalaugar there is one road you don’t need to cross a river it is the road F208 from the north part. You will have only one river that you have the choice to cross by car or park your car and continue by walk on a bridge (Landmannalaugar campsite is 5 minuts walking from the parking lot)

If you feel not very comfortable there are buses from Reykjavik and South Iceland or tours that you can join. For instance those ones : Highlands tours

But in any case, that’s a very good choice to go. Those areas are just beautiful !!