Vinyl records - looking for a shop in Reykjavik down town

Where can I buy/listen to vinyl records in Reykjavík? I’m staying in an AirBnB downtown and am looking for fun stores to browse.

Reykjavik is very small and walkable. In downtown you can find a number of record stores.

12 Tónar: a music label as well. The selection is great and the staff are super helpful and friendly. They offer coffee every time I go in. You can try the records out on their comfy sofa while having a coffee! They also sell old postcards and other music related stuff. It’s on Skólavörðustígur, the street leading up to Hallgrimskirkja, the big famous church in Reykjavik.

Address: Skólavörðustígur 15

Mengi: this is actually my favorite music venue in Reykjavik. It’s not a huge record store and you can only find a small selection. But it’s all released by Mengi and the store has that artistic aura that Icelandic music is famous for. Highly recommend to go there. You should also check out live performances there. Happening quite often. Always some performances going on at night between Thursday and Sunday.
Address: Óðinsgata 2

Bad Taste (Smekkleysa): Also a music label, established by a former member of the legend Icelandic band The Sugarcubes. The store is not huge but there are a great selection of vinyls.
Address: Laugavegi 28

Lucky Records: This one is slightly outside of 101 (downtown zipcode) but it’s hugeeeee. Also it’s not that far away from 101, just a little bit further out down the main shopping street Laugavegur. They have so many vinyls. I’m sure you will like it.
Rauðarárstígur 10, 105 Reykjavík (Close to the bus station Hlemmur)

Cafe Vinyl: This is a cafe/restaurant famous for being the only vegan restaurant in Reykjavik. But you can tell from the name that they have a lot of vinyl records for sale here. All second hand and quite a good deal.

Hope this helps!

Hi Xiaochen!

Thanks for awesome advise! I went to 12 tonar for some Icelandic music, they have a lot of it there, and they’re really easy to find on that street to the church (can’t really miss that!). I did like Smekkleysa too, it’s pretty close to 12 tonar so it was all in one go. I loved it! They have a pretty nice selection there, even though it’s a tiny place. Well, all of them are tiny, :stuck_out_tongue:
I couldn’t find Mengi :frowning: I tried but I was just lost in the small streets. I did find a nice live music venue though called Rosenberg. Seemed like there were many locals there too.
I did try kaffi vynil, and it was pretty sweet. I’m not really a vegetarian, but they did have some really nice sandwiches and dishes even for those who are not really all vegetarian or vegan. We also had a chance to browse a bit there, so it was a nice lunch. The coffee was pretty nice too :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for all the awesome tips! I’ll be trying Lucky records next time I come to Iceland!