Vegan and Vegetarian restaurants in Reykjavik and Iceland

I’m a vegetarian and I’m wondering if there are any restaurants in Reykjavik and in Iceland that do offer vegan and/or vegetarian food in Iceland.

Hi Unnur. Kaffi Vinyl, which opened in 2016, is the only all-vegan restaurant in Reykjavík. It is located on Hverfisgata 76 down-town Reykjavík. Hverfisgata street lies parallel to Laugavegur, which is Reykjavík’s main shopping street.

I was vegan for 26 years and the atmosphere in Reykjavík has changed a lot, now being a vegetarian or a vegan is widely accepted and many restaurants cater to the needs of the ever-growing group of vegans and vegetarians.

You will find several vegetarian restaurants in Reykjavík, which are also vegan-friendly, f.ex. Kaffihúsið Garðurinn, which is located on Klapparstígur 37 down-town Reykjavík. There is also Reykjavík Chips, which is located on Vitastígur 10 down-town Reykjavík if you are in the mood for chips :slight_smile: And if you are in the mood for soup you will find a great vegetarian soup restaurant called Súpubarinn in Borgartún 26. They also offer some vegan soup.

At Heilsuhúsið health-food store you will be able to buy vegan and vegetarian food if you have the opportunity to cook for yourself during your stay in Reykjavík. And our supermarkets, Krónan, Bónus, Hagkaup and Nettó, have a great choice of health-food on offer.

Depending on your budget you can check out Gló for casual vegetarian food or Aalto Bistro for fine vegetarian dining(it is a bit of a walk from downtown though). You can also count on Indian/Nepalese places for vegetarian options! Around downtown you should be able to spot Shalimar around Austurstræti towards Center Hotel Plaza or Hraðlestinn near Bíó Paradís. I’m cheap so I’m a big fan for Shalimar’s 990 ISK takeaway lunch on weekdays :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Vegetarians have a pretty good choice in Iceland, pretty much every restaurant will have at least one vegetarian dish on their menu. It can be a little trickier in the countryside where you’ll mainly find burger, hot dog and pizza places, but they can normally adjust the food to be vegetarian.

Some places do exist in the countryside that cater to vegetarians, such as the tomato farm Friðheimar that only has tomato and cucumber based dishes on their menu, or the Ethiopian restaurant Minilik

Vegan’s have a slightly harder time, but within the capital area they’ll have plenty of choice.

Here’s the most thorough vegan guide to Iceland that’s regularly updated.

And here’s a guide to the best restaurants in Reykjavík, it lists a number of restaurants that have vegetarian and vegan options, such as Kol, Kopar, Matur og Drykkur, Von Mathús and more :slight_smile:

Hey there!

Vegetarian options in Reykjavík have really been on the rise in the last years - the places recommended above are all really good, especially the vegan Kaffi Vínyl, I would recommend the newcomer The Bike Cave, located out on Einarsnes by the outskirts of the city centre.

I would advise against going to Kol Restaurant like someone recommended, since they only have ONE vegetarian/vegan option; an overpriced and dry nutloaf dish. You can’t even order the Risotto even though they might recommend it, since it’s made with chicken broth!

MY personal favorites are sweet, fast, simple and cheap: The Noodle Station (high on Laugavegur main street) and Mandi by Ingólfstorg - ask for a vegan falafel and they’ll make you that legendary, filling, 1000 kr wrap without the yogurt-sauce!

Hope this helps! :fork_and_knife: :fork_and_knife: :fork_and_knife:

Keep your eyes peeled for new Vegan restaurant, Veganæs to be opened in popular Reykjavík bar and music venue Gaukurinn. Super tasty & affordable vegan options made with lots of love!

Follow them on Facebook!