Typical Icelandic Souvenir

Hey folks,

I don’t like the usual tourist trinkets and I would really love to purchase some traditional Icelandic things, like the most typical thing to bring or so :smiley: Is there something like that?

If I were to choose souvenirs from Iceland, in addition to all the great photos I would have taken, I would get a lopapeysa wool sweater (or at least some mittens and a hat) a Hugleikur Dagsson stick figure comic book at a bookstore, a bottle of Brennvín at the liquor store (or airport duty free), dried fish from the supermarket, ground coffee from Reykjavík Roasters, handmade Icelandic chocolate as gifts from Vínberið and chocolate covered liquorice (Draumur, Kúlusúkk and/or Djúpur) for myself at Bónus (or airport duty free), a Svavar Knútur vinyl record from 12 tónar, some fancy sea salt (they have it in lots of places) and maybe some oddities from the flea market or thrift store.

I bought several hand knitted hats because they are more affordable compared to the Icelandic sweaters. But, the hats are really cute with cats and sheep patterns! I bought them at Flea Market in down town, and there were so many more items that are unique and cute!
And Icelandic chocolate is also amazing! You can buy them anywhere from souvenior shops to grocery stores. I noticed Icelandic people are quite fond of chocolate:slight_smile: In a candy shop in down town, I found a wall of Icelandic chocolate!

I was quite surprised that they were lots of Icelandic things to buy in the duty free shop in the airport.
I bought some Viking drinks and fish oils, other ocean stuff. They satisfied all my friends and family!

If you’re planning to find some authentic Lopapeysa sweater I definitely recommend the Handknitting Association of Iceland as they are real handmade sweaters made in Iceland, and you can find all sorts of colors and patterns there. If you are into knitting yourself you can also find souvenir sets of knitting instructions and the necessary Icelandic wool yarn for the ultimate DIY. I actually did a bit of a look around at the Spuutnik used clothing shop and to be honest it is pricey enough for me to decide to just buy a new one. I have heard also of Kolaportið flea market having a lot of Lopapeysa available but as flea market goes, you can expect limited options and all kinds of conditions and quality.

Another shop I can recommend is the Thorvaldsens Bazar located just by the corner of Ingólfstorg(near City Center Hotel and Center Hotel Plaza), they are one of the oldest shops in Reykjavik and the shop is a non-profit run completely by volunteers for charity.

If you wanna have some fun while looking for the souvenirs, check out also the Icewear shop just in front of Thorvaldsens Bazar. The underground floor is full of all kinds of souvenirs, ranging from old Icelandic coins and stamps to male grooming oils and shaving creams using Icelandic ingredients, to ceramic cups and bowls designed by local Icelandic designers. The place itself used to be a bank vault and you can see the remnants in some parts of the store! It is completely not visible from outside and the signs do not do justice to how what’s actually in store :smiley:

Most of my friends like Icelandic sweaters, Blue Lagoon mask, Fish oil~~ :grin:

oh wow, that sounds very much like insider knowledge, thank you!! I will put some stuff of that on my list for sure :blush:

Hi Rebecca,

As it mentioned by others, Icelandic sweaters are probably the most iconic gift you can find here and i would recommend it! Since they are not the most easy carry souvenirs and pretty pricey, i d like to show you some alternatives:
Some of the local made refrigerator magnets are very interesting, there are ones made with icelandic coins, stamps, and even lava rocks, which i think would be pretty cool to either put on my fridge or send to my mates as gift. U can find them in local bookshops like penninn eymundsson. Also you can find variety of flake salts in souvenir shops with different colours and flavours, not only unique but also practical.