Travel to Iceland by ferry

So, if I would decide to bring my own car instead of renting one - what are the options of reaching Iceland by ferry?
Is it very expensive? Do I need special insurances or pay something for having my car in Iceland for around 14 days?

Your only option to go to Iceland with a ferry is by travelling from Denmark, with a stopover in the Faroe Islands, with Norröna Smyril Line ferries.

Their webpage should have all the current prices and information about bringing your car over.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca

It is a good idea to bring your car in Iceland but it could worth it only if you stay for a long stay. It takes around 2.5 days from Denmark-Iceland so it will be quite short for 1 week.

It could be nice for a trip of 2 weeks or more.

In any case you will begin your trip in Iceland with a charming village Seydisfjordur in East Iceland - a good and authentic place to start your holidays in Iceland :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca!

I don’t know about the insurance, but I don’t think it’s good for only a week. I think it likely costs the same as just renting a car. Also, it’s much cheaper to fly than be on the ferry!

hey Rebecca.

If you are going to be bringing your own car on the ferry, you asked about having to pay to keep it here for the 14 days. Most parking in the city of Reykjavík, its surrounding towns, and in the villages in the countryside, is free. You however have to pay for parking in the central downtown, but only during office hours.

Having your own car is a very comfortable way of travelling, there are several lovely camping sites all over the country that you can rent a spot on, check out this guide:

Hope this helped! Have fun on your travels!!! :grin: