The eruption of the volcano - tour

Your pictures inspire me tremendously! Recently, I saw the photo of the photographer, who went by helicopter over the gushing lava (you can see his shoes in the air - a brave man!). Whether in the summer can I go on this type of trip? Or somewhere in Iceland eruption is still going on? Or can I see the approaching eruption? (for example, on the glacier?) A lot of questions, but I’m hoping you will dispelled my doubts. Thank you:)

Right now in iceland there is no active eruption so there is no lavaflow anywhere. Many photographers wait for a long time until there is an eruption and then take helicopter flights over or around the erupting area. Last time there was an eruption in Iceland it lasted from 29th of August 2014 to 28th of February 2015 so for a very long time and people were able to fly over the area in tours :slight_smile:

It’s a bit dangerous to co close to eruptions, both because it’s well, lava, and because there is often CO2 in the air, and it’s very bad for you. I don’t think you can fly over it, - the journalists can with special licence, but not tours. Maybe close to it? But I don’t think there is any active eruption now.

Hey Berenika,

While nothing is imminent, there are several volcanoes expected to go off over the next year or two. In February, geophysicist Páll Einarsson said that four were all showing signs that they were preparing to erupt. Here is a bit of information on them:

The most notable is Katla; it has gone off 20 times since 930 AD, and is still rumbling. This volcano is located right beside Eyjafjallajökull, which went off in 2010. Katla will likely cause at least as big a problem to air travel when it goes off, because it is also under a glacier, and much larger than its neighbour.

The second one of these is Bárðabunga, located under the Vatnajökull glacier. It was expected to erupt in 2015, but in a way never seen before by scientists, the lava pushing into it changed course, travelled several miles underground, then started to erupt away from the ice cap; this was the Holahraun eruption, where I believe the photo that you are referencing came from. Even so, however, it seems that all the magma was not evacuated, as there are constant earthquakes in the area signifying further activity.

The third is called Hekla, as active as Katla. Throughout the medieval times, Hekla was referred to as the gates of hell. This is because of the vast amount of lava that emerges as it erupts; it has produced one of the largest amounts of lava in the world over the past millennium. Hekla only has small glaciers on it when it is not erupting, so doesn’t produce quite the same ash cloud as others, but in 2003, scientists discovered that it could produce the most dangerous of volcanic phenomenon; pyroclastic flow.

The fourth and final imminent eruption is expected at Grímsvötn, Iceland’s most active volcano, which sits under Vatnajökull. Most eruptions here occur under the ice and do not break the surface, but that makes them no less dangerous; glacier floods have been some of the most destructive side effects of an eruption historically. Grímsvötn is also connected to the Laki fissure system, which erupted so badly in the 1700s that many blame it for the potato famine and french revolution.