Scuba diving in Iceland?

Hey there. I was hoping someone could tell me about scuba diving in Iceland. I am qualified PADI diver, but I’ve never dived in cold-water before. I want to try dive in Silfra but I heard it was only 2 degrees Celcius and that seems far too cold. Has anyone done it? Is it worth it or just insufferable? Are there any warmer locations you recommend?

Thanks!

Hi Richard

I have an advanced PADI license and have been diving in Silfra twice myself.
Being cold is not going to be a problem, or at least it wasn’t for me.
The water is cold, but you don’t really notice it that much because you’ll be given a super warm overall that’s like a thick sleeping bag, underneath your drysuit - that will keep you dry the whole time. You’ll also get wetsuit gloves and a hoodie. You’ll mostly notice the cold on maybe your cheeks, I don’t really remember the cold much. I went with Scuba Iceland and they give you some hot chocolate and cookies after your dive as well!

The water is so cold and clear that you can both drink it, and have visibility of around 120 metres - it’s simply stunning :slight_smile: Plus, they offer two dives, and I totally recommend doing both dives, even though you’ll be seeing the same location again, you may have some trouble adjusting to the drysuit in your first dive (at least I did) and by the second dive you should have the hang of it and be able to enjoy the scenery more.

Take note though that wearing a drysuit is much more bothersome than wearing a wetsuit or just a regular swimsuit, you’ll need heavier weights and when you’re on land everything’s just a little harder than usually. The short walk you need to take after the dive feels much longer than it actually is when you’re carrying all that extra weight! This is what was a bigger problem for me, rather than the cold :wink:

Silfra is one of the best dive sites in the world, so any qualified diver coming to Iceland shouldn’t miss out on it in my opinion!

Hey Nanna,

Thank you so much for the advice! You are right, the water was cold, but I barely noticed it with all the equipment. The most stressful part was getting into gear and becoming daunted at what lay ahead, but after the initial shock in the water, I found it surprisingly easy. The equipment took some getting used to, but the guides were patient and helped with everything. I would definitely recommend this to fellow divers, although I think that limiting it to only those with experience in dry-suits is a good idea. I was grateful that I had worn wetsuits and dived in freshwater before, so was used to adjusting my buoyancy for the gear. I think most people, who have only done an openwater course in a tropical country, would struggle more.

Thanks again for the tips! It was so worth doing,

Richard