Romantic picnic locations for the summer

Hi
I want to go little bit of the main route and do some romantic picnic somewhere on the west coast in the summer. Do you have any recommendation on where to go or some great hiking routes that have some romantic twist to it?

Hi Olafur.

There are many romantic places both on the west coast and in Borgarfjörður in the west. I would recommend that you skip the Hvalfjarðargöng tunnel on ring-road 1 and drive into Hvalfjörður fjord, which used to be the main route before the tunnel was opened in 1998. There you will find several small waterfalls, some right by the road and some hidden away from the road, which are lovely romantic spots for a picnic. My husband and I have our own small, but romantic waterfall there, called Mígandi waterfall, overlooked by most tourists as it is just by the intersection to Iceland’s highest waterfall, Glymur. From Mígandi you can take a short hike up to another waterfall called Paradísarfoss. I will be writing about this location very soon :slight_smile: Just a suggestion :slight_smile:

If you travel further west and visit the Snæfellsnes peninsula on the west-coast you will find many romantic places, I especially like the golden beach by Langaholt in Snæfellsnes and Búðir, but the Hotel at Búðir is considered one of the most romantic hotels in Iceland :slight_smile: I have written 5 articles about Snæfellsnes in chronological order so just click on the links above and they will take you to the first part of the articles. Browse through them and see if you can find any romantic spots which would be ideal for your :slight_smile:

Have a lovely time in Iceland :slight_smile:

If the weather plays along, then pretty much any place in Iceland can turn into the most romantic place imaginable.

If you’re set on going to the west part of Iceland, then there are plenty of locations along Snæfellsnes (walk between Hellnar and Arnarstapi and visit Djúpalónssandur, then have the seafood soup at Café Rif). You can also take the ferry from Stykkishólmur over to the Westfjords (and bring your car) and on the way you can stop at the tranquil Flatey island, where you literally have nothing to do except enjoy the peace and quiet, gaze at puffins, dine at the local restaurant (there’s only one) and lie in the grass whispering sweet nothings to each other. Note - Flatey should only be visited during summertime.

And then if you continue traveling along the Westfjords, then make sure you visit Dynjandi waterfall, Rauðasandur beach, Látrabjarg cliff and a number of the warm hot springs you can bathe in! :slight_smile:

If you want somewhere close to the city that is just an easy walk but still super pretty, I recommend Paradísarlaut in Borgarfjörður. it’s so lovely there and there’s a tiny little waterfall. You could even go at night in the summer time if you want perfect privacy. it’s just amazing there.
Another wonderful place that is easy to reach is Sönghellir in Snæfellsnes, a cave where there is a massive echo. it’s a great place to sing a love song