Realistic Driving Time

We plan to travel to Iceland the first week of May, between Reykjavik and Vestrahorn. Should expect to encounter any potential weather conditions that would slow us down on the road? Starting in Reykjavik, we plan to visit the following sites: Skogar, Fjadrargljufur, Jokulsarlon Glacier, Vestrahorn, Langisjor, Laki Crater, Landmannalaugar, and Silfra. (Many of the Must-See sites along this route are not listed because we already saw them in December. Yes, we LOVE this country!!!) Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi @Arlene_Smadja!
Happy to hear that you are coming back to Iceland this summer!
The weather in May is usually quite friendly, averaging around 5° Celsius (41° Fahrenheit) and 20° Celsius (68° ¨Fahrenheit) but I highly recommend checking regularly the The Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration website for the latest information on the wind and road conditions, along with the weather forecast website for proper planning throughout your stay.
I must point out that due to the amount of visitors to Fjaðrárgljúfur during the rainy few weeks in February and March, the area is currently closed to help the vegetation to recover from the damage caused by foot traffic. According to this news article, the area is supposed to be open again around early June and I can only hope that you can make your visit when they are finally open again to the public.
For the driving time according to your itinerary from Reykjavik to Vestrahorn, I would say 4 days and 5 nights will be the minimum amount of days you can travel with proper sightseeing time :sunny:
I hope you have an awesome time on your second visit! I also recommend checking out the boat tours in Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, they only run between May and September so you’re in time for the cruise :smile:

Don’t know if you are already on the road, but you won’t be able to visit Langisjór, Laki Crater or Landmannalaugar in early May!

The highland roads don’t normally open until late June, or perhaps even early July. They are still full of ice and snow and completely impassable. And don’t try to drive them if they are closed, you will for sure get stuck and need to call a rescue team! Always check road conditions in advance on www.road.is

Unluckily for you the weather this first week of May has had some snow, the amount of which is quite unusual for this time of year, but hopefully you’ve had a good time and seen some beautiful sights. I’d recommend driving the whole circle if you have the time, a week is enough time to drive the entire circle, and then you’ll get to see some of the sights in Iceland’s East and North too :slight_smile: