I am a well-seasoned traveler, usually able to figure out where to go , how to get there, and how much time to spend to do it. However, I am finding this terribly hard for Iceland. My husband and I will have 8 full days free, and leaving on the 9th day. I really want to do the ring road. I have read various things–yes it is enough time and no it isn’t enough time. My husband and I are older, and although we want to do some short hikes to waterfalls and canyons, we are not going into the interior, crossing rivers to get to unseen areas, etc. We want to see scenery, maybe do short hikes, see a museum or 2, etc.
Can someone please look at my itinerary and judge whether it is feasible? If we do not do the ring road, then I guess we would just do the south ring to the glacier lagoon and back, and then to Snaefellnes peninsula.
Also, can you give me an idea of where best to stay the nite, or evaluate what I have listed?
Aug 3, Thurs - Arrive at KEF airport at 6:30AM stay the night in Reykjavik
Aug 4 Fri – 1 ½ hrs to Thingvellir nite in Selfoss
- Thingvellir area
- geothermal valley of Haukadalur - Gullfoss, Geysir, etc
Aug 5 Sat – nite b/t Vik and Klauster
- south to Seljalandsfoss, maybe Skogafoss, Gljufrafoss waterfalls?
- Stakkholtsgjá canyon hike (about 2 hrs), off F249 west of Thorsmork
- Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon near Kirkjubæjarklaustur
Aug 6 Sun - nite in Hofn area
- Potential tour of Ingólfshöfði for puffins
- Glacier Lagoon Tour – Jokulsarlon and then Diamond Beach
Aug 7 Mon – stay in Djupivogur, Stodvarfjordur, Berunes (just a farm), Seydisfjordur? Stafafell?
Lon, and then another very beautiful region called the Eastfjords
Aug 8 Tues - Aug 9 Wed - to Myvatn nite in Myvatn area
- Drive along Route 85, along the coastal area of the northeastern region.
- Route 864 south, to Dettifloss waterfall
- Overnight in Myvatn
- Hverir geothermal fields
- drive around Krafla (north of Hverir)
- Lake and baths
- Godafoss Waterfall
Aug 10 Thurs – back to Reykjavik nite in Keflavik
- maybe go coast route northwest of Akureyi to visit Siglufjörður
- on the way is Reykholt (Snaefellsnes) – Heimskringla museum
- Deildartunguhver hot spring
- Explore Rekjavik
thanks SO MUCH, jackie