How can I get to the Ice cave from Reykjavik?

I´m interesting of the Ice cave tour, but I don´t want to drive by my own from Reykjavik to the east, how can I get to the Ice cave ? Is their any tours are from Reykjavik to the Ice cave ?

Hi Anton

I assume you mean the blue natural ice caves in the Vatnajökull glacier in southeast Iceland (there is also an ice cave on Langjökull glacier, but it’s not blue - and man-made ice caves in Langjökull glacier, but they’re man-made and not natural).

The blue ice caves in Vatnajökull are located around 400 km away from Reykjavík, so if you are going by car or bus you’ll have to go for at least two days to get there and back and do the ice cave (and stop by all the beautiful waterfalls and black beaches on the way!) Here’s a 2 day ice cave tour from Reykjavík in a mini-bus that includes accommodation on the way.

If you only have one day then it’s possible to go there, but then you have to fly there and back, and you’ll miss out on all the beautiful attractions along the way (plus it is more expensive than going on a two day tour). Here’s a daytour from Reykjavík to the ice caves with flights.

Hope this helps!

Hi Anton. Last year I visited a couple of the ice caves and wrote a blog about them https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/regina/visit-a-sapphire-blue-ice-cave-in-vatnajokull?a=135 and https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/regina/aquamarine-ice-caves-in-europe-s-largest-glacier?a=135. As Nanna has answered then it is best to join a 2-day ice cave tour so you will have plenty of time to explore the south-coast as well. Have fun :slight_smile:

I did a one day tour. It was great, but honestly, it was a bit too long, so if you’re not in a hurry. I’d recommend either a two day or a three day tour, like Nanna linked.

Hi, Anton.

Yeah, like it has been said, you CAN get a day tour to the ice caves in Vatnajökull, but it is kind of expensive. So try to free up two days to visit the caves. If you drive to the caves, you’ll pass some amazing sights such as the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss, and Reynisfjara beach.

You could also stop at Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and take a boat tour of it, seeing the icebergs up close. Before you head east, you could check out the Golden Circle. That is a must-see for anyone visiting the country.

Although I guess flying to the east is probably incredibly fun and scenic and I guess it’s well worth the money.

If however, you can’t break free for more than a day, and you don’t want to fly you might have to make due with the man-made ice tunnel in Langjökull. Sure, it is not really like an ice cave, but you will still be able to say that you have visited a glacier and gone inside.

The ice tunnel is actually really nice. You’ll see weirdly shaped ice sculptures that the nature made as well as carved out rooms people made. It’s pretty cool and you can also go snowmobiling on top of Langjökull. I did that, it was terrifying but really fun. You can read about it here. https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/7698/snowmobile-for-chickens