Does Iceland have any good music festivals?

Is there a good time to come to Iceland in terms of catching a music festival? Preferably out in the nature? Don’t like the look of Sonar because its all in one building. Thanks, Richard

Look no further but here: Top 10 Festivals in Iceland
At the bottom there’s a complete list of all the festivals happening in Iceland throughout the year.

But of course not all of them are music festivals.

The biggest music festivals is without a doubt Iceland Airwaves in November. Be sure to check out the off venues (small gigs happening all around town in cafes, bookstores, shops, etc. that are intimate and free to all). The official program also happens in a variety of venues in Reykjavik so it might fit your likings.

Another one worth mentioning is the Secret Solstice music festival happening in the summer, the weekend before or on the summer solstice.

Because we have the midnight sun here in the summer so it’d be all daylight throughout the festival.

There are quite a few happening outside of the capital as well. Just check out the article I linked in the beginning and you should find what you like :slight_smile:

Yes!!

There are SO MANY!
Sónar is cool, and since it’s in February it’s quite useful to have it all in one building (that way you don’t need to battle any storms going from one venue to another). But if you’re set on more outdoorsy or multiple stage/venue festivals then check out:

Aldrei fór ég suður in Ísafjörður (during Easter each year - FREE entry!)
Iceland Airwaves in Reykjavík (multiple venues, and a large free off-venue schedule as well)
Bræðslan in Borgarfjörður Eystri (in July normally, just one venue but set in a picturesque village in east Iceland)
Secret Solstice in Reykjavík (during solstice in June, inside Reykjavík with multiple stages)
Eistnaflug in Neskaupsstaður (rock/metal festival in July)

Also check out where Extreme Chill is taking place (in 2017 it will be in Reykjavík for the first time, normally it’s out in the countryside) and if Rauðasandur Festival is back from its break.

Enjoy!

Hi Richard!

There’s a bunch of awesome music festivals to choose from. If you are in the city, Ariwaves, Secret Solstice and Sónar, along with Myrkir Músíkdagar (Dark Days) are totally the top cherries to pick, but there are also others, such as Innipúkinn and Happy Sound. If you’re going out of the city I recommend Extreme Chill in Snæfellsnes, Eistnaflug in Neskaupsstaður and ‘I never went South’ in Ísafjörður.
Of course there are plenty of others, such as the folk music festival in Siglufjörður, but in general, it takes a lot of driving to get between places so I just recommend staying in town. You can also just go to one of the many live music clubs, because’ there is a lot of them around and you and in down town.

Basically it depends on what sort of music you’re into :stuck_out_tongue: If you’re travelling I also totally recommend Græni Hatturinn Pub in Akureyri!