Can I bring my drone to Iceland?

Hello! :slight_smile:

I’d like to bring my drone to Iceland. Do you know what the drone laws are there? Any information would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Best regards!

Hi Elin.

I don’t think there are any specific rules in place for drones that weigh less than 5 kg (10 lbs) in Iceland. But I know the Icelandic Transport Authority (ITA) is developing such rules for all unmanned aircrafts.

You cannot fly them everywhere. Over crowds or over private land is forbidden, so you can’t use it in the city or at the popular travelling places. Also, It’s sometimes a bit hard to fly a drone in Iceland because it’s windy.

Hey Elin,

I am not 100% sure of all the rules, but I do remember being in Þingvellir National Park and seeing a park ranger asking somebody not to use their drone there. If you are in a National Park, therefore, I would make sure you ask permission first just to be sure,

Hope that helps,
Richard

You can bring it into the country if it weighs less than 5kg, but you can’t use it everywhere. There are no rules about drones at the moment, but there are some rules on their way as most people enjoy the peace and quiet in Iceland that’s hard to find elsewhere, and drones have a tendency to ruing that quiet solitude feeling :wink:

Hi Elin,

Here is the link of the drone laws in Iceland, you can click and see it in details!
https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/iceland-drone-laws/

BR
Ronge