Best way to do a camping trip in Iceland?

Hi,

I am thinking to go to Iceland for a family trip during the summer time. Probably 7 to 8 days in July or August.
We are 3 people, a couple and a 3-year-old girl.

I’ve heard that camping is a good option to travel Iceland as a family.
Where is the good place for a camping trip in Iceland, where we can have a great view and peaceful relax, but not dangerous for a girl?
Anyone can recommend a good course?

Thank yous in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi Susie,

You are absolutely right, camping is an amazing way to see Iceland throughout the summer, and is safe for the whole family. We have an article about the best way to camp in Iceland here:

For a small family, I would recommend taking an eight-day self-drive tour in a 4X4 vehicle and tent on the roof; there is a package which comes with a full itinerary, which will take you to all the most popular sites and many more unique, lesser known locations. It also comes with a camping card, meaning you get admission into campsites all across Iceland. You can see more about it here

If you wanted to do it more independently, then there are a range of vehicles you can rent that will take you all around the ringroad safely, but I still recommend getting a camping card for ease. The camping card website shows you all the sites available with the card, along with all the amenities provided, so you can be sure to find something that suits your family. Almost all our campsites, however, are very peaceful and in beautiful locations, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that! Here is a link to the camping card website

and a link to car rentals

Hope that helps!

Wow, there’s a pretty useful answer here above with all the links!

But I just wanted to say that pretty much anywhere you want to go in Iceland you’ll find beautiful locations, and there are camping grounds all over the place.

In 7-8 days during summer, you could either do the whole circle of Iceland, or focus on a particular area of Iceland, such as going to the Westfjords. There’s a great campsite next to Dynjandi waterfall in the Westfjords with a stunning view of the waterfall, although my favourite campsite is in Þakgil in south Iceland, tucked away a little into the highlands but still accessible with a 2WD car.

Also, during summertime the nights aren’t dark, making it really easy to put your tent up at any time during the night since you will always have daylight :slight_smile:

Have fun!

Hi Susie! I think it’s great that you’re coming with your kids, but because they are so young, please keep in mind that a lot of the activities in Iceland are very much ‘adult only’, like glacier hikes and long mountain tours. I would recommend taking a day in the city and visit the family parks and the seaside. There’s plenty to do in the city for kids :slight_smile: