Best music venues in Reykjavik

I’m planning few days in Reykjavík - are there any good clubs or bars that have live music? I’d like to attend a music festival as well if I can, so any ideas?

Hi Unnur! It really depends on what kind of music you are into, there are different kinds of clubs/bars that cater to different crowds in Reykjavik. If you are into jazz, I would definitely recommend Slippbarinn located within the Icelandair Hotel Marina for their live jazz sessions every Wednesday! Another popular spot is Kex Hostel, you should recognize them as one of the venues for Iceland Airwaves and I have heard a lot of great things about their brunch menu.
This article is a good guide for all kinds of festivals and events in Iceland!

The venues in Reykjavík have a pretty quick turnover, so note that this reply is written in February 2017, so maybe the scene has changed a bit if you are coming to Reykjavík much later than that! :slight_smile:

You should check out what’s happening at Harpa Concert Hall (both for classical music as well as rock concerts and rap and pop and all sorts - next week, and every February, it’s hosting Sónar Reykjavík Festival for example)
Húrra (bar downtown that has weekly jazz and often live music and DJ’s)
Kex Hostel (often hosting mini pop up festivals, live music and weekly jazz session)
Gaukurinn (often has live music)
Loft Hostel (often has live music)
Café Rosenberg (live music every night, focusing on jazz, soul, blues, folk)
Dillon (more towards rock, heavy metal and electronic)
Bar 11 (rock, grunge, heavy metal)
Peterson Suite is starting a weekly jazz night on Wednesdays now, maybe it will continue.

Also good to check what’s going on at Tjarnarbíó Theatre and at Iðnó, they are both by the Reykjavík pond and have a mix of live music, theatre, cinema screenings, dance events etc going on.

And then check out music festivals taking place in Iceland, the biggest ones being Iceland Airwaves in November when live music pretty much takes over all of Reykjavík with the free off-venue, Secret Solstice Festival at the height of summer in June, Sónar Reykjavík in February, I Never Went South in Ísafjörður during Easter, Bræðslan in Borgarfjörður Eystri in July, Eistnaflug in Neskaupsstaður… and of course Culture Night in Reykjavík in August. There are plenty of more smaller ones :slight_smile:

Find all festivals in Iceland and Guide to Iceland’s pick of the week in this article!

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for the input it really helped a lot. I ended up spending a lot of time at the Petersen suite and Gaukurinn. it was so awesome! I’m hoping to come back again in summer and go to some festivals. Isafjorður is top choice and then Braedslan, so I will be travelling a lot :stuck_out_tongue:
Also hoping to go to this thing called LUNGA, you know it? Appanrelyt it’s like an music and art festival or something

Thank you guys a whole bunch!