Any Non-Crowded Hiking Routes?

Hey guys,

planning on hiking in iceland with a fellow at the end of june for almost 2 weeks. Are there any not so crowded hiking routes that wouldn’t pop up in the first 5 results of google? :smiley: We are experienced hikers, some volcano and geysir views would be awesome. Any suggestions or even side notes are very much appreciated. Cheers

Hi Thanh

To be honest, none of the hiking routes in Iceland are crowded. Even the most popular hiking route, Laugavegurinn, that goes from Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk (it’s 55km and people normally do it in 3-4 days) or the second most popular hike, Fimmvörðuháls from Þórsmörk to Skógar (22km and takes about 10 hours) are not exactly ‘crowded’. Yes, a lot of people go there, but on each day you might meet around 20 people max. Mostly when you reach the campsite at the end of each day. During the hike itself you only pass very few people.

So pretty much anywhere you go you’ll find a place that isn’t very crowded :slight_smile:

Here’s a handy article to give you some ideas of where to go: Hiking in Iceland

Have fun - and remember to dress warmly in layers even though it’s ‘summer’ :slight_smile:

Hello Thanh,

If you really want to experience remote Icelandic nature, I would highly recommend travelling to the Westfjords since you have ample time to spend there and there are many breath-taking hiking trails of varying difficulty. Personally, I’ve spent a lot of time in the Westfjords and can recommend them for their dramatic coastlines. I would highly recommend going to the Visit Westfjords website for more information on hiking trails. A favourite town of mine is Tálknafjörður where you can unwind after a day of hiking in the beautiful Pollurinn, geothermal heated pools with a view. There are many trails leading from there whihc you can see here:
https://www.westfjords.is/en/town/index/hiking-trails-3