About grjótagjá cave

I really want to go to grjótagjá cave and see it on the inside, as I saw the video from your website, it’s really amazing,if anyone know travel agency can take me to there, and I really want to visit. if not,I will rent car to go there by myself.Anybody can talk to me how to find Grjótagjá Cave? GPS directions?

Yes the Grjótagjá cave is quite incredible! I really do recommend going there if you are in the north of the country but it’s a bit too far if you are staying in the Reykjavík area. You can take a tour from Akureyri: Mývatn, Goðafoss, Dettifoss, Selfoss, Grjótagjá cave and the Nature baths that takes you there and some other great destinations. If you want to drive it’s pretty easy to find. The GPS coordinates is N65° 34’ 29.535" W16° 53’ 0.868" and you just drive road number 1 towards Mývatn and then turn on road 860 towards Grjótagjá.

Hi Ryan and Embla!

Getting to Grjótaghjá is not hard at all. But you should really take care when going there both because there is no official path or rails, and it’s in a rocky cleft, and because it is on private land, and you should respect it. the nature there is very delicate and you need to be careful of how you treat it.
For many years grjótagjá vas a meeting location for locals and especially young people who worked at Reykjahlíð, and was mostly hidden from tourists. After it was ‘discovered’ a lot of people started going there and treated the area so badly that is was closed for all traffic for many years. it has recently been reopened. Please be very careful there and respect the nature and the environment so that we need not close it again.

Apparently, Grjótagjá is the spot fans of the television show Game of Thrones who are visiting the North, are most excited to see. It was the cave that became Jon Snow and Ygritte’s love nest in the third season. So while visiting I’d expect some GoT fans around. The nearby Dimmuborgir lava field was also a location in the show, and most of Iceland really.

The cave is small, but it is easily accessible from the road, and they have a parking lot there if you are driving yourself. If you are travelling in the winter, the snow might make the path slippery, so be careful.

Hey Ryan,

Grjótagjá cave is one of the most highly recommended places in North Iceland to visit; be aware, however, that you cannot bathe in it. While the temperature is not dangerous at the moment, it varies radically with the geothermal activity in the area, going over 50 degrees Celsius during the 1970s and 1980s. It is also not safe due to the loose stones. If you are visiting, however, its always nice to know some local history, so you may be interested to know that the cave was once home to the notorious 18th Century Icelandic outlaw, Jón Markússon.

Have a great time

Richard